Thursday, July 25, 2013

No Job

OK, so I did not get the job. I have mixed emotions about it. I am partially relieved because teaching would have been new for me and this was a little scary, but I looked at it as an opportunity to expand my mind and skills. I am sad because I really thought I would have fit in well for the position, but alas, it was not to be.
Most of my disappointment is because I have two degrees and no one will hire me. I feel that the hiring supervisors think I am either under qualified or over qualified or too old.
I got a phone call for an interview for a job I did not even apply for, isn't that funny. It is not something I think I can do, but I will look into it. The job is as an educational assistant.
I cannot see myself being in this position because I like to think for myself and not "do what I am told". Don't get me wrong, I do follow my job description and do what I am expected to do (or told to do), but I just don't think I can do this one because the setting is in education. I used to work in this setting, where I got a lot of professional respect.
So I guess I will take a vacation. I HATE things not going according to plan (I can thank my childhood experiences for that hangup).
Anyone who wants a vacation from working in a career should do these steps:
1. Wait until your about 50 years old.
2. Quit your job and move to a small town that is in the middle of nowhere
3. Go to back to school. Get loans for school. Don't worry about paying for it because you are getting a "college" degree and you will be able to get a job afterwards to pay off the loans.
4. Work hard to get good grades because that will make an impression on people and they will want to hire you because you learn quick.
5. Apply for jobs that pay much less then you made before because you are not "too proud" and you are willing to take less.
6. Apply for jobs that you don't qualify for because you will graduate in a few weeks, surely people will be aware that you have lots of experience and since you will soon graduate, they will want to "snap" you right up before anyone else can.
7. Graduate and apply for jobs. Make sure this time that the jobs ask for your degree because now that you have the degree and so much experience and great references, people would be lucky to have you as an employee. Be sure and include how many years experience you have so they can see how old you are are.
8. Last but not least, realize that you are not anything special and your narcissistic attempts at self-improvement may ultimately gain you nothing.Try to resign yourself to an endless vacation and learn how to pull weeds, do yard work and clean/fix the house.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Wow, this is a depressing and very inaccurate post!!!

You have a job now though, so I'm sure you're feeling better...